7 things you need to do when applying to college

Nileena John, Community Editor

1. Build your college list & tour colleges you are interested in

The first step of the college application process is deciding where to apply. Some people have their dream college picked out since middle school, but most people still have no idea what schools to even consider. Wherever you may be, you still need to solidify a good college list with an ideal mix of reach, target, and safety schools. You can find potential colleges through online research and college fairs. It is also recommended that you visit college campuses and/or attend information sessions to see what you like about the schools you are interested in. (Make sure to take note of what you learn at these sessions—it can help you write college supplemental essays later in the process.)

Reach schools are those that might be hard to get into according to your GPA, essays, grades, course rigor, and other factors. You might be really interested in going to a college with lower acceptance rates and higher average stats than yours. Don’t worry, colleges aren’t strictly looking at a single factor in your application. Instead, they’re looking for a student that would fit well in their school. So definitely consider including some reach schools in your college list—you might have a chance! 

However, it is also important to have target and safety schools on your list. Target schools are ones that you have met the qualifications for and have a good chance of getting admitted into. However, that doesn’t always mean you are guaranteed admission. That is why it is important to have at least 1-2 safety schools where you have a good chance of getting accepted.

2. Open a Common App or Coalition App Account

The next big step in the process is making a Common App or Coalition App account. These resources simplify applying to college by allowing you to submit your application to several colleges through a single application. (Note: Students at Abington typically use Common App.) While it is not recommended, you can also apply to colleges without the Common App by applying directly through the college website.

Once you have opened your Common App account, input your list of selected colleges. Doing so notifies the colleges that you are interested in them. You also have to fill in personal information in the “Common App” tab. In this section, you are sharing information about yourself, your education, your activities, and family situation to colleges.

3. Ask for Recommendation Letters and Transcript

Another important part of your application is recommendation letters. Recommendation letters can be written by teachers, coaches, managers, or any other adult who knows you well and can write about your strengths. Sometimes, certain schools might want teacher-only recommendations so it is important to follow the guidelines of colleges. Junior year is the perfect time to figure out who you want to ask to write your letters of recommendation. In senior year or earlier, you can ask your teachers for letters of recommendation. After asking them, you should send an official request through Naviance. You can also request for your counselor to send your transcript to the colleges you are applying to through Naviance.

4. Writing Your College Essay

One of the sections within the “Common App” tab is writing. This section is where you include your college essay, a single essay that is shared with ALL of your schools. It is important to remember that since all of your colleges will see this essay, you should not include information about a specific school. The Common App has relatively similar prompts each year and also an option to write about a topic of your choice. Here are the 7 prompts from the 2021-2022 year:

1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
  2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
  3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
  4. Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
  5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
  6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
  7. Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.

Your college essay is a very important component of your applications. Make sure to write about something meaningful to you. When you finish, you can share your essay with a trusted adult, such as an English teacher, who can read it over and provide suggestions.

5. Writing Supplements 

Within the “My Colleges” section of the Common App, you have to answer college-specific questions, also known as supplements. Here, you might find that colleges ask you to respond to specific questions about their school. Your essays can mention different aspects of the school that stood out to you—from academic programs and research opportunities to clubs and professors.

6. Applying for Financial Aid

If you believe that your family is not able to afford college, you might be eligible for financial aid. Financial aid can come in different forms, including scholarships, loans, and grants. Grants and scholarships do not need to be repaid. While scholarships are based on merit, grants are based on financial need. The FAFSA form is a government form for government grants and loans, depending on the financial need of your household. The CSS profile found on College Board’s website allows students to receive Institutional aid. To submit the CSS profile, students must complete the CSS form and submit additional documents requested by the school through IDOC.

7. Setting Up Your Application Portal

After you submit your application, you will likely receive an email prompting you to create an account for the school’s application portal. Here, you will be able to view up-to-date information on missing documents, decisions, and financial aid documents. It is important to check your portal and submit any documents to ensure your application gets processed and reviewed correctly.

These are the basic steps of applying to college. If you have any questions or still feel confused, reach out to your guidance counselor. Good luck to everyone beginning to apply to colleges!