The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Advanced Cinema: Class Review

If you are a freshman, sophomore, or junior, you are now in the time of choosing classes and electives for next year. I want to talk about my experience with the Advanced Cinema class elective with Mr. Rendine. You need a prerequisite for this class so you have to take the intro course first. I really enjoyed the intro course so I was excited when this class was offered as an option. Something that makes the Advanced Cinema class different from the intro course is that we have more in depth writing assignments in comparing and evaluating movies. We have to write a 1-2 page double spaced essay with an assigned prompt but this is not a hard thing to do since you are reflecting your paper on both of the movies you watched and the class discussions about the movies. Another thing I really enjoy about the class is that we explore genres but we look at the changes of the genre in different time periods. For example, we explored the Western genre and looked at the ideas of the new and old west from The Searchers in 1956 and Unforgiven in 1992. We also sometimes have projects with our peers as we further explore movie concepts and the idea of mise-en-scene in film. If you enjoy watching different movies and like the idea of comparing similar films this is definitely a course for you!