The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

What is DECA?

As many of Abington’s students might know, DECA is a popular club that has a chapter in Abington Senior High School. However, many students not in the club may not know exactly what DECA is. Since many students are ill-informed of DECA, here is some useful information about DECA coming from a student that is part of the club. DECA, or Distributive Education Clubs of America, is a club that focuses on the empowerment of young financial and business leaders of America. This club is a national chapter that is divided into international and state level competitions. From my own personal experiences, I have found DECA to be very fun, and rewarding. However, the club involves commitment and hard work and requires an ample amount of interest in business.  In DECA, students are expected to take part in business projects or roleplays. Students can choose whether they would like to form a group or be solo when studying for their roleplay or creating their project. Once project/roleplay deadlines are met, the students that have complied with required deadlines and requirements are allowed to compete in DECA state competitions in Hershey, Pennsylvania. This trip is two nights long and students are expected to stay with three other students for the trip. In my personal experience, the trip was very fun! On the first day, other than the opening ceremony and dinner, DECA students had great autonomy to roam the hotel, go to Chocolate World, spend time at the various stores/cafes at Hershey Lodge, or go to the Outlets. On the second day, students were required to present their project/roleplay to judges at the Hershey Lodge and attend the awards ceremony. The awards ceremony was highly competitive and went on for hours because of the large number of events and students. However, the music and crowd cheer had boosted the morale of myself and many other students. After the awards ceremony, students were welcome to go to the DECA dance or hang out with friends at their hotel until the 11:30 curfew. Overall, the Hershey Hotel was a wonderful place to stay at with many great amenities such as a pool, stores, spa, and even a fitness center! The third day of the trip was bittersweet, many students, similar to me, were tired and were ready to head home. However, many students will never forget the short-lived freedom and experiences that many DECA students and I had on the trip. Other having great memories with friends, presenting projects/roleplays helps students with finding their future careers in business and helps students learn helpful business and networking skills. Additionally, DECA can teach students good work ethic and teamwork, while providing something for students to work towards. For instance, I grew increasingly close with my group members while working on our project and learned how to overcome obstacles in communication and learn to understand one another. In conclusion, for any students that are apprehensive about joining DECA, I would highly recommend them to join because of the long-lasting memories and essential experience and skills that can be learned.