8 colleges you should consider applying to

Nileena John, Community Editor

1. Colby College

Colby College is a liberal arts college in Waterville, Maine. Colby offers students time off from school to pursue internships, complete research, or study abroad during the January term, a program called Jan Plan. The college requires students to take at least three Jan Plan terms, however, almost 90% of students take four. Colby College is also committed to offering students affordable college education. They recently changed their financial aid policy so that families who have a total household income of $65,000 or lower will have a family contribution of $0.

1. Cornell College & 3. Colorado College

Cornell College in Mount Vernon, Iowa, and Colorado College in Colorado Springs follow unique academic schedules. Known as the Block Plan at Colorado College, this schedule requires students to take a single course at a time, meaning students are focused on a single subject during a 3.5-week period called a block. This is beneficial for students who are interested in immersing themselves in a specific topic at one time.

1. Berea College

College can be extremely expensive, with tuition costs up to $60,000 per year at some schools. Berea College, a work college in Berea, Kentucky has students paying no tuition. Berea’s Tuition Promise Scholarship, worth around $200,000 for four years, includes a work-study program that covers the complete cost of tuition.

1. Northeastern University

The majority of Northeastern students chose Northeastern University for its distinguished Cooperative (co-op) Program. At Northeastern, students can spend entire semesters doing a six-month co-op. Co-op gives students the opportunity to gain full-time professional experience that lasts up to 6-months, much longer than summer internships. The extensive job experience prepares students for the demands of work and makes students competitive job applicants post-graduation. Full-time undergraduate students can choose to take up to three six-month co-ops in five years or up to two six-month co-ops in four years.

1. Evergreen State College

As opposed to requiring students to declare a traditional major, Evergreen State College has students design their own interdisciplinary field of study that can include various subjects. This gives students the freedom to explore different disciplines of interest within their path of study. It also ensures that students can still retain the credits they’ve earned for their degree even when they change the focus of their studies, keeping them on track to graduate in four years. Despite the flexibility offered, Evergreen also accommodates students who want a structured college experience by providing more than 60 pre-determined areas of emphasis.

1. The College of Idaho

Located in Caldwell, Idaho, the College of Idaho allows students to simultaneously take three minors in addition to their major through its PEAK Curriculum. The College of Idaho’s unique interdisciplinary approach is perfect for students who want to engage in a broader range of disciplines without the pressure of additional years in school.

1. New York University

With no official walls, NYU’s main campus is integrated within New York City, the most populous city in the United States. The area of Washington Square Park in Manhattan is unofficially known as the NYU campus—classrooms and residence halls are located in different buildings on the streets of the city. NYU is also renowned for its global education mission with 12 global locations, including Abu Dhabi, Berlin, and Shanghai.Â