The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Why Insects Aren’t So Bad

Why Insects Arent So Bad

When asking people what their greatest fears are, many respond with insects or bugs.  While they do have fast, unpredictable movements, and some even have venom, in most cases they are harmless.  Most of the time they seem unpleasant, they are threatened or scared.  In my opinion, I don’t find bugs scary— I find them quite interesting.  I found them so intriguing that I wrote my college essay on insects and their unseen beauty in the world.  I’m enrolled in AP Art and Design, and I’m also trying to dive deep into insects and the relationships between them and humans.  In my research, I’ve found many environmental benefits to insects. I believe insects are vital because they keep the environment going, they aren’t very dangerous, and they are very valuable to humans.  

Insects are the air to our lungs when observing their role in the environment.  They provide clean air for us and other animals.  Bugs in general break down organic matter and they spread beneficial fungi, which reduces pathogens (microorganisms that can cause diseases/illnesses).  Bees specifically create nurturing environments that are hugely beneficial.  Pollination produces a majority of our ecosystem wellness.  Pollination gives humans and animals the ability to have a stable crop production. Although there are insects that destroy the crop supply, that is unusual.  

Most people think of bugs as dangerous but they really aren’t.  Around 5% of insects are hazardous to humans.  Most insects will hurt someone if they feel threatened, so if an insect isn’t bothered by anything, it is pretty much harmless. Even if they are harmful, they are super small and most likely won’t do much damage.  The most common fear is bees and their stinging but if someone isn’t allergic, there won’t be much damage done.  It’s anxiety-inducing but pretty harmless.  We as a society give insects a bad rep but they actually have commonalities with humans.  They are just little creatures trying to survive in a big world.  

In all, they are very helpful towards humans.  They give us food such as fruits, vegetables, and honey.  They also give humans jobs. Without insects, there wouldn’t be farming or some types of manufacturing.  Insects give us beeswax, silk, makeup, dyes, and much more.  Some of our everyday items couldn’t be made without the presence of insects.  Even different cultures use bugs as nutrients and food.  There are so many ways that insects impact the lives of humans.  We  truly could not live without them.