The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

1989? So Last Century!

Explaining the hype around a not-so-new album

At 33, the famous pop star Taylor Swift is at her peak, breaking records and charts with her Eras Tour. What makes The Eras Tour stand out against her previous tour is that it includes performances from each of Taylor Swift’s Eras, as opposed to only one. For those who aren’t diehard Swifties, the “eras” is just another way of referencing her albums. They are called “eras” as each album comes with a new music genre, a new fashion style, and a new color scheme. The Eras Tour broadcasts all of her talents, with 44 different songs, 13 outfit changes, and uninterrupted performances for a duration of over 3.5 hours. Swift first broke the record for the most tickets ever sold for an artist in one day, then for the most-attended concert by a female artist in U.S. history on her opening night. The Eras Tour is predicted to be the most successful tour in history, making Taylor Swift a billionaire. 

The Eras Tour has provided Swift with a platform to showcase old music while also teasing and announcing new music. Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) was announced in May and released in July, and fans are currently anticipating the release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) on October 27. As the tour dates have been extended to late 2024, fans theorize that, by the time the tour is over, she will have released all six Taylor’s Version albums. Now, what is Taylor’s Version?

In 2005, at the debut of her career, Swift signed to Big Machine Record Labels to produce her first six studio albums: Taylor Swift, Fearless, Speak Now, Red, 1989, and Reputation. Once her contract ended in 2018, her music still belonged to Big Machine Record Labels, and she continued on with Universal’s Republic Records. Swift would maintain ownership of her songs as long as her music stayed with Big Machine Record Labels. However, problems arose when they sold her music to a private equity group, Ithaca Holdings, owned by Scooter Braun. Braun later sold the masters to Shamrock Holdings for $300 million in 2019. The loss of her masters meant that Swift would no longer receive the majority of streaming profits. 

Swift couldn’t perform any of the music from her first six studio albums live, as it was considered a re-recording, and that wasn’t allowed for up to another year. Swift posted online that she was looking forward to re-recording her music in the future, and with the help of country artist Kelly Clarkson, Taylor’s Version was born. 

Taylor’s Version albums are the re-recordings of her first six studio albums, which she has full ownership of. Swift questioned if fans would want to listen solely to previously released music, so the new albums include “From The Vault” tracks – songs that Swift had planned to release with the original album that didn’t make the final cut. The new albums also have brand-new vocals, album covers, and merchandise. 

The 1989 (Taylor’s Version) tracklist is as follows: 

1. “Welcome to New York (Taylor’s Version)”
  2. “Blank Space (Taylor’s Version)”
  3. “Style (Taylor’s Version)”
  4. “Out of the Woods (Taylor’s Version)”
  5. “All You Had to Do Was Stay (Taylor’s Version)”
  6. “Shake It Off (Taylor’s Version)”
  7. “I Wish You Would (Taylor’s Version)”
  8. “Bad Blood (Taylor’s Version)”
  9. “Wildest Dreams (Taylor’s Version)”
  10. “How You Get the Girl (Taylor’s Version)”
  11. “This Love (Taylor’s Version)”
  12. “I Know Places (Taylor’s Version)”
  13. “Clean (Taylor’s Version)”
  14. “Wonderland (Taylor’s Version)”
  15. “You Are in Love (Taylor’s Version)”
  16. “New Romantics (Taylor’s Version)”
  17. “Slut! (Taylor’s Version)” (From the Vault)
  18. “Say Don’t Go (Taylor’s Version)” (From the Vault)
  19. “Now That We Don’t Talk (Taylor’s Version)” (From the Vault)
  20. “Suburban Legends (Taylor’s Version)” (From the Vault)
  21. “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)” (From the Vault)
View Comments (1)