The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Taylor Swift’s Not-So-Unlucky Number 13

Have you ever walked into an elevator of a high-rise building to notice that there is no thirteenth floor listed? Well that’s no accident! It’s a popular American superstition that 13 is an unlucky number that is believed to draw danger or paranormal activity. One of the most popular horror film series, Friday the 13th, even suggests that it may bring upon death. While many people look away at the number 13, Taylor Swift looks for it, along with all the Swifies in search of easter eggs. 

Taylor Swift has been obsessed with the number 13 her entire life since the good luck charm first appeared on her birthdate, December 13th. Once Swift launched her music career, the number began to pop up as musical milestones arose. Her debut album, self-titled Taylor Swift, hit gold on the billboards after 13 weeks following the release, and the top song on the album, “Our Song”, has a 13 second instrumental intro. Her sophomore album, Fearless, won Album of the Year at the 2010 Grammys, making her the youngest artist to win in that category. During the first interview following her big win, she revealed that when they announced her the winner of Album of the Year, she was sitting in seat M13 – “M” being the thirteenth letter of the alphabet – and declared 13 to be her lucky number. At almost every show, you can see “13” drawn on her strumming hand for good luck. 

Taylor Swift’s “Mastermind” isn’t just a catchy tune but an encomium to herself. Ever since winning Album of the Year, nothing Taylor Swift has done has been a coincidence. Her music videos have secret codes and future album references in the background, she teases new music releases in her instagram posts and captions, and drops hints in ways you would never expect. For example, during Swift’s Speak Now World Tour, she used an acoustic guitar with a koi fish print, and over ten years later, she released Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) on July 7, national koi fish day. Most recently, fans have been interested to know if Swift’s most recent boyfriend, Travis Kelce, will be her last. Her newest album THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT features multiple songs rumored to be about him, so it might not be false hope. This newest album is her eleventh studio album, and her fanbase has been anticipating the release of her thirteenth since the start of her career. Nothing is random or accidental to Swift’s fanbase, especially when it concerns the number 13.