The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Introducing Our New Principal: Dr. Swift

This afternoon we had the opportunity to meet with our new principal, Dr. Swift. In our short time together, Mrs. Swift shared her insights, values, and goals for the high school as well as her welcoming nature that warms the hearts of many.

Q: What are your goals and what do you want to accomplish in the school?

A: Firstly, drawing communities. This means embracing diversity and ways in which the school has changed for the better. My grandmother was one of the first five black students when she attended Abington. The school has truly come so far.  Additionally, I aim to cultivate one voice at Abington. I want to make sure students, teachers, and families feel heard. I believe sometimes students choose violence because they can’t regulate their emotions or talk it out with their peers. I want to make a cohesive and respectful environment where everyone can effectively express their feelings.

Q: What is one quote that you live by?

A: I’m sure you have heard me on the announcements but my favorite quote is “If you haven’t been told that you are loved today, let me be the first to tell you.” I think it is vital that the students of Abington feel loved and important, and know that they deserve all the success in life. In order to reach their dreams, they need to take advantage of all the opportunities that Abington has to offer.

Q: What was your experience at Abington like?

A: As captain of the cheer team and a member of the Black Student Union, I was very involved in the community during my time at Abington. I was even named best dressed in the yearbook! However, the Swift family reputation precedes me; I came from a long line of hardworking people at Abington. My grandma and mom paved the path for me to be a successful student.

Q: How much has the school changed/stayed the same since you attended?

A: The building itself has changed a lot, but so have the opportunities here. Even the Perfect Blend is something we could never have dreamed of. Although we are living in a different world now, the Abington spirit and essence hasn’t changed. 

View Comments (1)