The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Why You Should Read Dark Rise

The first time I saw C.S Pacat’s novel, Dark Rise, was in the warm aisles of Barnes and Noble. The book’s metallic cover was on display and immediately caught my eye. However, I moved on and resumed my shopping after acknowledging its beauty. This seemed to become a ritual as I’d walk into Barnes & Noble, see the cover, and consider reading a synopsis but instead move on. As you can likely tell by the title of this article, I eventually caved in and made the purchase. I’m so glad my horrible book-buying tendencies compelled me to buy this book, as it’s now one of my favorite books ever. So, here’s why you should consider reading this absolute joy of a novel. 

Dark Rise is set in our world, but magic has been left in the past and forgotten by most. Humans don’t remember the past wars between “the light and the dark,” but a group known as the Stewards remember and are sworn to protect the light against the Dark King’s imminent return. The novel follows Will Kempen, a young boy running from the men who killed his mother, as he discovers that he’s the key to protecting the world from the dark. Will is introduced into a world of forgotten histories, forced destinies, and black-and-white lines as the light and dark prepare for the Dark King’s return. 

C.S. Pacat masterfully wields the common “chosen one” trope and subverts the audience’s expectations. Sometimes plot twists feel unfair or as though the author tries to one-up the audience. However, Dark Rise never exhibited these behaviors. Plot twists were hinted at, and it’s decipherable if one pays enough attention. When I discovered the book’s plot twist, the game-changing moment, I could only sit in shock. It’s not that I didn’t see it coming, but it was unbelievably well executed. Small details the audience had once ignored possessed deeper meanings and the unimaginable made sense. I felt empty and destroyed by the book’s cruel ending, yet I couldn’t help but smile when evaluating the conclusion, which is one of the novel’s best aspects. It can make the audience root for a character while praying for their downfall at the same time. It can make the audience wish for a scene to last longer while at the same time hoping it ends as soon as possible. This book’s ability to evoke such complex and divided emotions from its readers sets it apart as it displays how well C.S Pacat understands her audience.

Another element that sets this book apart is its characters and their dynamics. The story focuses on Will, an orphan longing for acceptance and love after his mother’s death. Another character vital to the story’s plot is Violet. She’s a young girl who doesn’t fit in with her family, which serves the Dark King. Justice is a heroic and exemplary steward, who lost his partner Marcus and is overwhelmed by the guilt. Cyprian is the most promising steward of the coming generation. His brother, Marcus, was captured by the Dark King’s army, and the audience sees this drive Cyprian’s actions throughout the novel. Finally, the Dark Army’s most powerful soldier, James, is the reincarnation of the Dark King’s most loyal lieutenant, Anharion. All of these characters aid the development of complex themes of destiny vs. desire and found family. 

After reading this book, I couldn’t wait for its sequel to be released. It accomplished so many things and did so in a way that didn’t leave the reader underwhelmed or disinterested. Even though this isn’t a book many know of, especially in prominent book communities, it is most definitely still worth reading and gives the reader a fun experience.