The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Always Nominated, Never Awarded

The Grammy Awards, annually presented by the Recording Academy of the United States, award the best accomplished artists, albums, collaborations, and hits of the year. Many artists aim to obtain a Grammy Award, as it’s one of the highest markers of success in the music industry. The Grammy Awards recognize excellence in various categories, such as Album of the Year, Record of the Year, Best New Artists, and best performance, songs, and albums in each music genre. The 66th Grammy Awards will introduce three new categories: Best African Music Performance, Best Alternative Jazz Album, and Best Pop Dance Recording, totalling 94 different categories to be awarded. The winners will be announced on this upcoming Sunday,  February 4, and I’m here to tell you who I think will win and who I think deserves to win in five of the most popular categories. 

Record Of The Year 

Will Win: “Kill Bill” – SZA

Should Win: “Not Strong Enough” – boygenius

“Kill Bill” was a top hit this year, surpassing over 1 billion streams almost immediately after its release. “Kill Bill” is SZA’s top song on her newest album SOS and her second top song in her entire discography. It spent numerous weeks at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, so I expect it to win Record Of The Year, though “Not Strong Enough” by Boygenius deserves to win. “Not Strong Enough” by Boygenius was my favorite song released in 2023. The all-girl group blends their voices together so well, creating a beautiful three-part harmony. They utilize repetition to convey very impassioned, yet relatable, feelings such as, “Always an angel, never a god.” If I could describe the song in one word it would be poetic.

Album Of The Year

Will Win: Midnights – Taylor Swift 

Should Win: the record – boygenius; Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd – Lana Del Rey; GUTS – Olivia Rodrigo 

This is the most difficult category for me because I love all the nominees so much. However, we all know that 2023 was the year of Taylor Swift. With her Eras Tour, she became the top artist in the world, breaking records left and right. If Midnights wins Album Of The Year, this will be her fourth time receiving that title.I have no doubt that Taylor Swift is going to take home the Grammy, though Midnights is not my top choice, regardless of how much I love it.  Lana Del Rey’s newest album is arguably one of her best. She is such a great lyricist with such a unique voice, so it’s unbelievable that she has never won a grammy before, despite her eleven nominations, so I would love for her talent to be rewarded. GUTS by Olivia Rodrigo would also be a well-deserved recipient of Album Of The Year. Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album broke streaming records, including her viral smashes, “vampire”, “get him back!”, and “bad idea right?”. Her no-skip album really embodies teenage angst, young heartbreak, and the struggles of growing up and fitting in. Another great option is the record by boygenius. the record combines the best of Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, and Julian Baker, three phenomenal artists. I’ve never been more impressed with a debut album! It’s going to be hard to be “Cool About It” if they don’t win. 

Best New Artist

Will Win: Ice Spice; Gracie Abrahms 

Should Win: Noah Kahan 

Ice Spice and Gracie Abrahms have become very popular with the help of Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour. Gracie Abrahms opened up for Swift’s concert, giving her an opportunity to appeal to a very large audience. She gained hundreds of thousands of new fans and monthly listeners on Spotify. Her debut album was very popular, and I can definitely see her winning Best New Artist. Ice Spice has also grown her fanbase this year, especially since her features in “Barbie World ” from the Barbie movie, and Taylor Swift’s “Karma.” It’s said that she is going to be the new Nicki Manaj in the near future. No one deserves to win as much as Noah Kahan though. I’m completely obsessed with his folk vibes! His music never fails to remind me of my greatest memories. His music stands out against the other nominees with his guitar and lyrics focusing on mental health. 

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

Will Win: “Never Felt So Alone” – Labrinth 

Should Win: “Ghost in the Machine” – SZA ft. Phoebe Bridgers

Labrinth began his career in 2010, but it wasn’t until the hit teen drama Euphoria was released that he really rose to fame. Labrinth composed the entire original score, and the serie’s soundtrack is recognized to contribute to its popularity. Labrinth’s newest release “Never Felt So Alone” is a beautiful piece featuring Billie Eilish, and dare I say it’s his best song yet. Billie Eilish’s soft, soprano voice blends very well with Labrinth’s, but I have to say I prefer the duo of SZA and Phoebe Bridgers. “Ghost in the Machine” is a perfect mix of SZA’s R&B and Phoebe Bridger’s more indie feel. The transition from SZA’s verses and backing music to Phoebe Bridgers is absolutely seamless! Although, I have to admit, I am a little biased, as Phoebe Bridgers is one of my favorite artists. For that same reason though I had high expectations for this song, and I have to say they went above and beyond.

Best Alternative Music Performance 

Will Win: “A&W” – Lana Del Rey 

Should Win: “Cool About It” – boygenius 

I think I’ve made it apparent that I’ve become a big boygenius fan this year, but in all fairness, anyone who listens to “Cool About It” will immediately become a fan. This song perfectly encapsulates the difficult emotions that come with post-relationship contact, whether it’s romantic or about a failed friendship. They manage to put so many indescribable feelings into words in this three-minute song. I’m a sucker for soft songs with hard lyrics! I think that songs deserve every award there’s to offer, but I fear Lana Del Rey’s “A&W” will take home the Best Alternative Music Performance. “A&W” is the most streamed song on her latest album Did you know there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd, and for good reason, too. “A&W” is a seven-minute track which takes listeners on a journey through Lana Del Rey’s life, starting from childhood and continues on towards adulthood. The song is split into two distinct parts as indicated by the lyrics and dramatic change in music. It first expresses a woman’s role in society and how we’re supposed to conform to societal norms, then on how that can have a negative impact on one’s life. I have to admit, as much as I love “Cool About It,” this song is just as amazing.