The Student News Site of Abington Senior High School

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

The Abingtonian

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

BOYS SOCCER IN STATES – UPDATE

BOYS SOCCER IN STATES - UPDATE

UPDATE: 11/8/2023

Gas up the Cars, SUV’s, Trucks, and Minivans, The “Family” is still competing for the State Championship!

With the loss on Saturday against Conestoga in the District Championship, many fans thought the Abington Boys Soccer season was over. However, because of our tremendous run in the playoffs, we are still able to compete for a state championship. Last night, Abington won a 2-0 thriller against Manheim Township in the Shwarzman Stadium with outstanding play from several key unexpected players. “Sebastian Morina played the entire game, and he’s usually a kid that gets a couple minutes here and there,” Garber said. “He played the outside back and did a heck of a job.
“(Brandon) Escobar played the other back, and he did an excellent job. As a matter of fact, he was under the weather the whole entire week, and he toughed it out.
“And Nicky Gray is one of the guys the whole entire season was in a boot because he had a fractured ankle, and he just came back a week ago, and because of the injuries, he got a starting spot, and he did a nice job in the middle for us.”

“Brian O’Neill took on two defenders and just absolutely beat them clean and just slotted the ball in the back of the net where the goalkeeper wasn’t, and it was the difference in the game,” Abington coach Randy Garber said. “He received the ball wide, and we’re trying to get him into the box because he’s very clever with the ball.

Brandon Murataj scored his first goal of the season to put Manheim away for good.

UPDATE: 11/1/2023

The “Family” is still going strong

X’s and O’s are great, cone work is great, conditioning is great, but if you have a tight-knit group with talent, playing for each other can get you to a championship game. Coach Garber has known this for years. “They like each other, they play like they like each other. The training the young coaches are giving them – day in and day out the same message – is so positive, and they just bought into it. You can see it on the field, you can see it off the field. It’s the difference. Abington Boys Soccer advanced to the District One 4A Championship game on Saturday with a no doubt about it win last night over West Chester Rustin. In their 2-0 win last night, the defense was absolutely on another level in their 10th shutout of the season. “Shoutout to my brother Jose (Rosario-Martinez), I have Brandon Escobar on the right, Oscar (Hoffmann) and my boy Justin (Waterfall),” said Daniel Oliveira. “We’re a big family, we stay together, we do everything together, and we just work for each other, and if we do go down, we go right back up. It feels amazing to get a shutout. It’s a team effort though.” Abington’s offense isn’t anything to sleep on either.

Come out and support “The Family” on Saturday at Spring-Ford High School at 3pm.

Go Ghosts!!!

UPDATE: 10/30/2023

“FAMILY” again sticks together in tough win

Abington Boys Soccer again proves that with “Family” by your side, anything can happen. The Boys soccer team won a hard-fought battle on Saturday afternoon against a very physical Central Bucks South team. The win helped Abington advance to the Semifinal of the District One Championship as well as an automatic bid to the state championship playoffs. Abington will host West Chester Rustin on Tuesday, October 31, 2023 at 7:00pm in Schwarzman Stadium. Come out and cheer on your Ghosts as they look to advance to the Championship game.

UPDATE: 10/27/2023

#6 ABINGTON 2, #11 HARRITON 1
The Ghosts capitalized on a pair of restarts to score a pair of goals, rallying from a 1-0 deficit to earn the 2-1 win.

The two teams went into halftime deadlocked 1-1. “The second half was very physical again,” Garber said. “Neither team had a bunch of chances at all. We talked about it at halftime – getting restarts. I don’t care if it’s a throw-in, I don’t care if it’s a corner kick. We get fouled about 19 yards out on the right-hand side. On the restart, Oscar Hoffman hit a cracker low that the goalkeeper never saw with 15 minutes to go in the game.”
That turned out to be the game-winner.
Abington (18-2, 15-1 SOL) will host #14 Central Bucks South in a district quarterfinal game on Saturday at 11 a.m.

Abington Girls Soccer team cruises to victory over Neshaminy

With the guidance of Coach Tompkins and staff, Abington Girls Soccer advanced to the second round of the 4A District Playoffs with a convincing 5-1 win over Neshaminy. This tight knit senior class with the help of an outstanding underclass group understands the importance of playing hard for each other in the playoffs. “We said going into today, it’s the playoffs now, so you just have to win,” Maddie Egan said. “We were really conscious of that early in the game and I think it drove our energy. We’re a close senior class, we love playing together and we’re just driven to win.” The team visits Central Bucks East on Thursday, 10/26 at 5:00pm.

“Patience is a virtue” is true as Abington Boys defeats Penncrest  

“The first 10 minutes of the game they came out very strong, and they tried to get forward and create some chances – the first 10 minutes it was ugly,” Abington coach Randy Garber said. “Then, all of a sudden, they slowed down a little bit, we got our feet on the ground, and we kept the ball in their end of the field for the next 20-25 minutes, scoring some goals on corner kicks.”

Abington took their time and scored three goals off eight corner kicks in the first half. After taking the advice from our veteran and very knowledgeable coach, the Ghosts completed the win with a very impressive 4-1 win. We will host #11 seeded Harriton Thursday, 10/26 in the Schwarzman Stadium at 7:00pm.

This game will be livestreamed on Youtube under ASD Athletics. Go Ghosts!

Abington Field Hockey season ends against tough Wissahickon team

First year coach Janine Larr took her Field Hockey team to Wissahickon and battled them to a much closer score than the 6-2 defeat. The score was 2-1 midway through the second quarter, but gave up a few uncharacteristic goals later in the contest. Congratulations to Coach Larr, her staff and the players who battled all season.

Back-to-Back-to-Back Playoffs for Abington Volleyball ends in defeat against Methacton

Coach Marsh mentioned that “we had our chances.” Abington led 21-18 in the first set until Methacton made a furious comeback in front of their home crowd. We also led in the third set but could not pull out the win. “The girls worked their tails off and should be commended for their hard work this season” coach Marsh stated. “They were a great group to be around.”

Congratulations to all our Fall Sports this season!

———————————————

Four of Abington’s Fall sports teams earned berths in the District 1 playoffs.

Abington Field Hockey finished with a 7-10-1  record.

Abington Girls Volleyball will make their third straight appearance in the District playoffs.  Coach Dan Marsh and the Ghosts head into the postseason with a 13-5 record.

With a 13-4-1 record, Abington Girls Soccer won the Suburban One League (SOL) Liberty Division title. This stellar mark earned Coach Rick Tompkins and the team the #9 seed in the District 1 Class 4A playoffs.

Abington Boys Soccer captured back to back to back League Championships with a 16-2 record. The SOL Liberty Division champs earned the #6 seed in the District 1 Class 4A tournament. Coach Randy Garber and his team will make their tenth straight (2104 – 2023) District 1 playoff appearance.

Abington Golf had a successful season, with Max Hayes and Jacob Reibstein both qualifying for Districts.

Best of luck to the Abington student-athletes, coaches, parents, and community!