What Colleges Look For In Applicants

Matthew Cunningham, Writer

In today’s society, many students seek a college education. This is because many jobs require a college degree as a prerequisite to employment. Many pray to be accepted into their dream college. However, the college world today is very competitive. Therefore, this article will talk about some of the most important things that colleges look for when it comes to accepting future students’ applications. 

1. GPA 

This is probably one of the things that first comes to mind when discussing a college’s criteria. There is generally copious amounts of stress with maintaining a high GPA. However, it is the first thing that colleges will look at after you submit your application. According to Indeed.com, applicants should have a GPA of 3.5 or higher in order for college admission. Even with a GPA of 3.5, many Ivy Leagues will have students with an average GPA of 4.4. Therefore, it is best for students to get the highest grades possible in order to stand out in the college admissions process. 

2. Letters of Recommendation

Similar to a job application, letters of recommendation are held highly because they show a trustworthy report of performance. When you have a letter of recommendation, it is a genuine report of showing initiative that is hopefully unbiased. For example, according to collegedata.com, colleges may even require letters from close individuals of applicants in order to get information about academic abilities, character, and personality. In conclusion, no matter what type of college an applicant applies to, letters of recommendation from trusted sources are a necessity when applying

3. Demonstrated Interest 

Demonstrated interest is weighted less than the previous two categories in the college admissions office, however showing interest and enthusiasm in the school is still important for a good impression.  If you demonstrate interest in a college, your acceptance chance may increase since the college knows that you will be more involved than someone who shows minimal effort. In any scenario with trying out something new, whether it is a new job or a new activity, it is always important to show investment in the respective activity or situation. 

4. Involvement in Extracurricular Activities

Think about it this way, if an applicant is finding shared interests with other people, colleges will think the student will be involved on campus and enrich the college environment. Simple things like keeping track of participation in extracurricular meetings or even just attending occasional meetings increases an applicant’s chance of being accepted into a dream college of theirs. 

5. College Application Essay

Applicants are able to present information about their personal traits and work ethic when writing their essay. It allows admission counselors to see a 3-dimensional image of who the applicant is, beyond just the student’s accomplishments. Many people have strong ideas for what should or shouldn’t be included in an essay as it is more subjective than the other criteria looked at by admissions counselors.

In the competitive world of colleges, it is important for students to understand what colleges are looking for in future students. By reading this article, I hope that readers will be able to apply the information from this article to their benefit when applying for college.

Sources