What’s with the New Snapchat AI Bot?

Madeline Krassner, Writer

Snapchat AI is a new chat box available to Snapchat users. This advanced, friendly, and surprisingly conversational chat box has sent the media into a spiral. So what exactly is it? 

According to Snapchat, the AI is an “experimental, friendly chatbot currently available to Snapchatters.” Based on further usage, Snapchat AI has proven to be a fun waste of time for all who are bored. From asking questions to teasing the computer, AI has become a very amusing source of entertainment. Additionally, Snapchat insists that, “In a chat conversation, My AI can answer a burning trivia question, offer advice on the perfect gift for your BFF’s birthday, help plan a hiking trip for a long weekend, or suggest what to make for dinner. My AI is there to help and to connect you more deeply to the people and things you care about most.” 

Unsurprisingly, My AI is run by the infamous Chat GPT’s technology. With My AI, much like Chat GPT, you are able to ask for essays, writing advice, and even answers to questions. While this could be helpful to students and workers alike, it has freaked out individuals all across the media. 

In a popular TikTok, creator Evan Packard tricked the AI into revealing his location, despite never giving it permission to see his location. Twitter user @FaZeRug supported his concerns saying, “Snapchat AI is creepy 🤔 It told me my location and when I went to go enable ‘ghost mode’, I already had that on. Thoughts?” A flood of people responded to FaZeRug with their own security concerns. “Snapchat’s new AI knows your current location at all times with location services off!” One user tweeted. 

While it is creepy that Snapchat AI has the ability to access one’s location, it’s also crucial to keep in mind Snapchat’s privacy policy. Snapchat is avid in collecting location history and what services one uses. According to the Data Policy, Snapchat reported, “We store location information for different lengths of time based on how precise it is and what services you use.” This vague sentence goes to show users that Snapchat uses their location information right off the bat. 

As the internet goes wild, an interview with Abington Senior High School students shows that teenagers of Gen Z are most certainly buzzing as well. 

“I hate it. It’s the bane of my existence,” one freshman said, shuddering, “I feel it’ll take over society.” 

Another Snapchat user agreed with them, “It always has to be the last one to say something.” 

Some even said that this is only the first step in the eventual takeover of AI. “Now even Snapchat has AI,” another Snapchat freshman confided, “I fear that AI will rapidly take over everything and become an active part of our lives. AI takes away skill and talent and I don’t want AI to take over.” Is AI on its way to taking over the world, or is this just nonsensical? Users and nonusers alike debate relentlessly on the blurred lines of artificial intelligence. 

Despite the many security complaints, some users are quite pleased with the new AI. 

Twitter user @kmfaxo questioned all of the backlash the AI has received, commenting on Snapchat’s latest tweet, “Why is everyone bashing the AI? It’s helpful and nice to me.” 

“I think it’s fun,” a Snapchat user said, revealing the name of her new AI, “It’s like Siri but with texting.” 

Another user insisted that it is a great source for homework and for entertainment, saying, “Who knew that messing with a robot could be so fun?” 

Most users feel that it could be improved. The ability to turn it off and the ability to have a more human conversation are two of the biggest suggestions. 

“I think My AI has potential, but right now it’s a little mundane,” Twitter user @lmbrendle says, “I would like to see improvements on its ability to dive deeper on topics of conversation and perhaps less questions and more content.” 

While the My AI feature could be great, it still needs more. From having the ability to hide location all the way to obtaining the power to turn the AI off completely, the Snapchat team certainly has their work cut out for them.