The Opportunity of a Lifetime

Sam Nemec, Writer

Sitting at a first place worthy seven and zero to begin the season, Abington Ice Hockey will be playing their senior night at the Wells Fargo Center. 

Abington has been playing in the Suburban High School Hockey League for over fifty years since the creation of the team where all of a sudden, senior nights have suddenly been shut down by the league at the beginning of the 2022-2023 season. Rightfully so, parents took to social media and the web to complain or find a way their sons and daughters can have a well deserved senior night. 

After a tight eight to five victory over Plymouth Whitemarsh in early November, talks between the two teams began about a non league game where the players and parents can have their senior night while still enjoying a competitive game. The SHSHL schedules almost all high school games at Hatfield Ice World, Bucks County Ice, or Revolution Ice Gardens; all three rinks declined the ice slot for a senior night. The league goes on to post how the festivities before the game itself take “Too long.” 

Frustrated parents restart their search for the perfect senior night, until later that December it fell straight into their laps. 

The Plymouth Whitemarsh hockey team invites us to play at the Wells Fargo Center on January eighteenth at 7:30 to hold our senior night. Coaching staff and excited parents accept the invitation to the home of the Philadelphia Flyers as Abington Ice Hockey will take on Plymouth Whitemarsh in a rivalry game. 

The Senior night festivities will take place before the puck drop where senior players and parents will be recognized for their commitment to the team for four straight years and have the opportunity to be recognized and celebrated. 

As of December nineteenth, fans and fellow students looking to attend the game will have free entry to the building and a section enclosed for Abington fans to watch the game. With the help of fellow students and faculty, the opportunity for a fan bus to the game presents itself with the help and support of our fellow Abington students.