A Critique of Block Scheduling

Miles Stewart, Writer

One of the main reasons that the school switched to the block schedule is because it gives students the opportunity to take eight classes instead of seven. Previously students would have to drop lunch to take another class leading many (especially those dependent on free lunch) resistant to taking another class. This new schedule allows students to take eight classes without sacrificing lunch. This however has a downside: the added worry of another class along with extra work. In theory, taking an extra class sounds great, but the added stress is not worth having another class.

One of the elements that I miss from the former eight period schedule is seeing all of your teachers every day. In years past, I have been able to grow a strong relationship with teachers, but now it has taken much longer for me to get to know them. Not being able to form bonds with my teachers has made them feel less approachable and more like strangers simply because I don’t see them as often as I used to. This may lead to long term negative effects throughout the school year. 

The most obvious downside to block scheduling is lunch. Having half of the school eat together at the same time has led to a lot of chaos, long lines, and all around, bad times. There are not enough seats, and the line to get food is almost the length of the lunch room. If you don’t get in the lunch line early enough, you’re stuck in a boring line for at least 20 minutes. Additionally, hallways are way too crowded in between lunches, and it makes getting to class extremely difficult. Although it is nice to have lunch with all of my friends, the downsides are not worth it.

Block scheduling sounds good in theory, but in practice, the flaws are extremely apparent. There are still benefits of block scheduling such as the Learn portion of Lunch and Learn and having fewer classes per day, but the negatives far outweigh the positives. Until the school is able to fix the bugs in the new schedule, I will remain a fierce opponent of block scheduling.Â