Tips for Battling “Senioritis”

Ava Maxwell, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Although we’ve only been in school for a month, many students have already caught a terrible case of “senioritis.” For the underclassmen asking themselves, “What’s senioritis?”, allow me to explain. Senioritis is when you have no motivation to complete your assignments during your senior year of high school. You’re so close to the finish line, but you’re also burnt out from your junior year of high school and college applications. If you’re a senior like me and you can already see yourself falling behind in classes and struggling to find motivation, continue reading for tips on how to overcome your case of senioritis.

#1: Make a list or schedule

This may seem obvious, but making a list of what you have to do or scheduling out when you will do each assignment will allow you to focus on each assignment for an equal amount of time. Especially with block scheduling, assignments tend to pile up even though they aren’t due until the next time you are in the class. Personally, making lists of what I have to do each night helps me see what needs to be prioritized and decide how long it will take to complete each task.

#2: Make a few friends in your class

A common symptom of senioritis is not wanting to go to your classes, especially if they seem boring or you don’t really talk to anyone in the class. With 80-minute class periods, sitting at a desk and listening to teachers speak for the majority of the period can get very boring very fast. However, many teachers have been giving short breaks around 5 minutes in the middle of the period, and may also give time at the beginning or end of class to relax and go on your phone. Rather than using the given time to go on your social media accounts, put yourself out there and try making a friend or two. By making friends in your classes, you’ll want to actually go to class so you can talk to them. Plus, you can ask them for help with projects and assignments if you missed class or don’t understand something. 

#3: Set aside personal time every week

Balancing school, sports, clubs, and possibly even a job can be extremely stressful and you may find yourself with almost no time for yourself. Instead of cramming all of your activities day after day, try working fewer shifts during the week or maybe even leaving a club. If you’re really attached to a club that meets after school, try asking the sponsor and leaders if they could meet during lunch and learn. Or, you could ask a friend to fill you in on what happened at the meeting. Setting aside time for yourself can benefit your mental health and relieve stress by doing something you actually want to do without feeling like you have to for a grade or money.

#4: Join a new club

If you find yourself being the opposite type of person described in #3, I recommend joining a new club! Many clubs will be holding informational meetings during the new lunch and learn period in the upcoming weeks. If you realize you don’t have an activity to sign up for that interests you, sign up for a random club meeting and see if you like it! Some of my favorite clubs at our school are Amnesty International (advocating for human rights and discussing current world events), AbingTHON (raising awareness for childhood cancer while fundraising donations for foundations created by local families who have been affected), and our school newspaper The Abingtonian! If you’re scared to attend a new club meeting by yourself, bring a friend! Clubs are always looking for more people to join and are very welcoming of newcomers. Joining a new club can strengthen your connection to the community thus providing you with motivation to keep pushing through senior year.

#5: Submit college applications as soon as possible

Yes, the lingering idea of applying to colleges can be scary and very stressful, but the sooner you complete your application, the less stress you will have during the second semester. Many colleges offer Early Action submissions which generally allow you to submit applications by early November without the Early Decision contract of committing to the college upon acceptance. Complete the Common App profile, add the colleges you’re interested in, and write your essay. Not only will you benefit from less stress during midterms but you will also hear back from admissions sooner than regular applicants.

#6: Seek help when you need it

Whether it’s related to academics, mental health, or your general well-being, seek help from those around you when necessary. High school is stressful for everyone and it can be difficult adjusting to the new block schedule. If you find yourself overwhelmed with assignments or have been more stressed than you’re used to, visit your guidance counselor, talk to your teachers or family members, or seek out a professional if it’s serious. Senior year may seem scary now, but seeking help early on can alleviate the problem before it gets worse. 

In the end, have fun with your senior year. Although it may seem like your grades define who you are, as long as you are trying your best and putting in the effort, that’s all that matters. I hope these tips help you conquer your case of senioritis before it becomes severe during the second semester, and I wish everyone the best of luck for the 2022-2023 school year!