Even more local small businesses to support

Ava Maxwell, Sports Editor

During the 2020-2021 virtual school year, I wrote two articles with a total of 20 local small businesses to support during the COVID-19 pandemic. With COVID-19 restrictions being eased, and the weather starting to get nice again, I decided to share a few more small businesses you can support either on your own or with a group of friends! 

Bilal’s Bakery

This recently opened bakery located in Jenkintown offers a variety of sliced cakes, cookies, pies, and other sweet desserts. Their products are reasonably priced and affordable. I haven’t gotten a chance to stop by yet, but I look forward to checking out this new small business in the future.

Blooming Spirits

Run by two of our very own Abington students, Blooming Spirits offers simple, affordable flowers for special dances with the purpose of spreading awareness for  mental health. If you’re interested in supporting a business run by your own classmates, I would definitely recommend Blooming Spirits. If you’re looking to purchase a prom bouquet or boutonniere, you can check out Blooming Spirits on Instagram with the username “bloomingspirits_”.

Dovetail Artisans

Located in Glenside, Dovetail Artisans offers handmade arts and crafts along with one-of-a-kind pieces of clothing. Dovetail Artisans has plenty of products to choose from if you’re looking for handmade pieces of jewelry, soaps, and other interesting pieces of decor. If you ever head to the Glenside Farmers Market by the Glenside train station, you will most likely also see Dovetail Artisans with their own stand selling their very own “Pennsylvania Pure Maple Syrup!”

Flower Girl Florist

Flower Girl Florist is another small business flower shop and gift store, located in Bensalem. Though it’s a little far from Abington, they offer floral arrangements, boutonnieres, and other items that make perfect gifts for someone special to you. With prom season around the corner for seniors, Flower Girl Florist is a great business to support if you’re looking for uniquely arranged flowers for you or your date!

Giuseppe’s Pizza

Giuseppe’s Pizza is a family-owned Italian restaurant with multiple locations in Pennsylvania, the closest to Abington being in Willow Grove. Not only do they have delicious pizza, but they also sell cold and hot sandwiches, soup, Italian platters, and more. If you plan on visiting Giuseppe’s Pizza, I would definitely recommend their chicken rice soup; it’s my favorite item on their menu.

Jenkintown Running Company

If you play on a school sports team, you may already know about this small business. Located in Jenkintown, Jenkintown Running Company sells athletic apparel and footwear, shoe insoles, and injury recovery equipment. An extra perk to shopping at Jenkintown Running Company is that if you play on a sports team for the high school, you can mention it and receive a discount off of your purchase. 

Richman’s Ice Cream

Despite “ice cream” being in its name, Richman’s Ice Cream has more to offer than just ice cream. Richman’s also sells hot dogs, burgers, and chicken fingers, perfect for if you’re looking for a quick bite to eat. Their extensive ice cream menu has plenty of options varying from sundaes to banana splits to waffles and ice cream! Even if these yummy treats don’t interest you, don’t worry because Richman’s also sells regular soft serve and hand-dipped ice cream.

The Pizza Box

Just around the corner from Richman’s Ice Cream is The Pizza Box. This pizza shop has delicious Sicilian pizza along with appetizers and other dinner platters. They even have their own list of “Hollywood” pizzas and sandwiches named after well-known Hollywood stars.

Weinrich’s Bakery

If you’re in the mood for some desserts and pastries, Weinrich’s Bakery is the place to go! Located in Willow Grove, Weinrich’s Bakery offers cupcakes, cannolis, donuts, and plenty of other sweet treats. They also have delicious cakes in various shapes and sizes, and they take custom orders for any special occasion.

Weldon Soda Fountain

Weldon Soda Fountain is a small ice cream shop located in Keswick right next door to the Keswick Theater. They offer floats, hand-dipped ice cream, milkshakes, sundaes, and plenty of other sweet treats. Apart from their many ice cream flavors, they also have a great selection of toppings and other add-ins to your ice cream.