Abington Ice Hockey: 50 Years and a Championship

Sam Nemec, Writer

¨The accomplishment of an aim or purpose.¨ The definition of success, proven by a talented group of young athletes. 

A few nights before the first puck drop of the season, the Abington Ice Hockey team gathered together as a team, as friends, and as a family. The season started that very night, not when the puck dropped, but when senior Tom Rourke was given the captaincy of the team, looking to lead the group to greatness. ¨I felt good about getting the captaincy and I wanted to lead the team to the championship and I felt good about this year with incoming players and returning players.¨ (Tom Rourke)

Regular Season

Throughout the offseason the team grew closer and closer and the bond between players and coaches tightened. Every Monday night before and during the season the team gathered for their weekly practice, improving and showing more dedication every week. 

An eventful fourteen game season came to a start November 5th, the night the streak started. Some of those games ended earlier than expected, as the team mercy-ruled six teams throughout the season with the help of leading goal-scorer, Matt Kramer. Kramer obtained a total of fifty points in only fourteen games. 

The season came to an end after a perfect season finishing first in the American League with the record of fourteen wins and zero losses. 

Round 1

Heading into the first game of playoffs, Quakertown lay in the way of Abington´s second consecutive season making it to the championship game. In his junior season, goaltender Sam Nemec, was depended upon to carry the team past the first obstacle that night appearing in only his first postseason game ever. 

Scoring opens early that night as Matt Kramer finds the ice breaker and gives Abington the early lead which is shortly followed by another goal scored by Jordan Heydt to increase the lead to two for the end of the first period.

Almost an exact replica of the first period, Abington nets two more goals on the scoresheet as Jordan Heydt finds himself a pair of goals that night making the score four to nothing heading into the final period of play where Nemec held Quakertown scoreless throughout two periods of play. 

Quakertown strikes quickly cutting their deficit in half now only trailing by two goals, which will be shortly turned around as Matt Kramer finds himself his second of the game increasing the lead to three. 

Concluding the first round of playoffs, Abington takes the game ending with a final score of six to two. Kramer, Heydt, and Nemec lead the charge taking Abington into the class A championship for the second year in a row. 

Championship Game

Anxiousness and the sense of nervousness sets in to all the players, seniors knowing this is their last shot at putting their names in the record books knowing they have to leave it all out on the ice one last time. 

Senior goaltender Ben Panella came into the championship game against Wissahickon wanting redemption for last year’s upset. Knowing this is his last crack at a championship Ben did not disappoint, shutting down the Wissahickon offense keeping Abington in a close game right down to the end. 

Offenseman Pat Stelacio and Matt Cholaj entered their names on the scoresheet early, each scoring a goal in the opening frame of the game later followed by a quick response from Wissahickon making it a 2-1 game in Abington’s favor. 

Once again in the second period both Stelacio and Cholaj put up another goal each, increasing the lead to three. Minutes later another response shortly after these quick two goals Wiss made it a close 4-2 game. 

Time continues to run off the clock as family, friends, and fans cheer as the dying seconds roll off the clock ending the game, crowning Abington as the champions. 

A highlight of goaltender Ben Panella´s high school career as he stops 37 out of 39 shots keeping the game tight and being the backbone of the team. 

“It felt awesome, playing barely at all in ninth grade and starting in tenth and eleventh and this year it feels great to have it all pay off and have the championship win.” (Ben Panella)

The championship not only marks the success of the players, but also of the franchise, winning their seventh championship in the history of the team. 

¨I personally played for my dad and grandpa so it felt good to make them proud in a sort of way.¨ (Tom Rourke)

The Suburban High School Hockey League had its first ever season in 1972 where Abington was named champions engraving their name on the trophy first. Out of the first five seasons in the league, Abington won the championship four times. Abington was a force to be reckoned with and fellow teams knew that going into games against the Ghosts. This season we regain that title as our opponents know not to take the team lightly. 

Abington Ice Hockey couldn´t receive a greater 50th anniversary present as the 2021-2022 season marks the 50th year anniversary.