Is Wordle the New Seinfeld?

Madeline Jamieson, Writer

In our current day and age, media is versatile and filled with personalized For You pages on apps like TikTok and Instagram to cater to each individual’s niche interests. Although these 30 second and often informative videos give us all a quick burst of serotonin, they also can create a feeling of detachment from our peers. After all, we are all in our own media lanes, viewing the different content that appeal directly to us. However, the media hasn’t always provided this many options to consumers. My parents always reminisce about media in their childhood; when they were younger, each and every kid would sit down on Thursday nights to watch back-to-back episodes of Seinfeld and Friends. These shows seemed to connect their generation, as they gave them something to talk about on Friday mornings with everyone at school. Being a part of Gen Z, I have never been able to relate to this until the rise of the recent word-game that has become an internet phenomenon, Wordle. 

Wordle is a fundamentally simple game that gives you six tries to guess a five-letter word. Every 24 hours there is a new word of the day, and it’s up to the user to decipher it. Once you figure out the word, it gives you the option to share your results with others and tells you your streak. Many Abington students play Wordle on a regular basis, as it is an enjoyable pastime that you can do with a friend. However, not only Abington students play this game. The New York Times states that 300,000 people play it daily. So what pulls so many people in and keeps them hooked? 

First and foremost, curiosity. With Wordle scores being posted all over social media and the news that the game is being bought by the New York Times, Wordle is getting lots of clout. Hearing about the game from friends or on social media is what got many people started playing in the first place. Also, since every user has to guess the same word, it can be exciting to talk about it with peers and share if you could guess the word or the number of tries it took you to get it. Not only does the Wordle word of the day bond Gen Z together, it brings together all generations. I recently taught my own grandma how to play it, and now it is her favorite activity! I love to chat with her about our scores and her opinions on the word of the day.                              

Another reason why this game turned into sensation is the feeling of accomplishment that it gives users. Waking up and figuring out the Wordle gives users a small win in their every-day life even when the rest of their day has provided them with few personal wins. Wordle gives users the ability to post results on social media or just to feel more connected to the people in their lives. Whatever your reason for playing, you can’t deny that this word-game has grabbed the attention of thousands of Americans from all generations alike. 

Sources

~https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/15/bite-sized-fun-the-psychology-behind-your-sudden-wordle-obsession.html

~https://globalnews.ca/news/8511839/what-is-wordle-how-to-play/